Authenticity

Authenticity. It’s such a strong word. A word I love.

There’s a lot to be said for being authentic. You know, being true to yourself. No pretence, no false fronts, no guises, just letting your true self shine through.

I’ve been interviewing lately and someone mentioned authenticity in how they go about building relationships across the business. They were very honest in saying; they felt it was important to be authentic. It helps to build trust which in turns builds relationships. It was very refreshing to hear.

The Real You

The Real You

Quite often we struggle to show our true self. Maybe we’re worried if people won’t like us or won’t like a part of our personality. Maybe we’ve built up a front to protect ourselves. Maybe we’ve been hurt and we subconsciously protect ourselves by being careful as to how much of our self we reveal. We’re just being careful with exposing our vulnerable side. We don’t want to get hurt again. That’s quite natural. It can be hard to show our vulnerability, hard to let our guard down and be really comfortable with ourselves, regardless of how it will be received.

Being authentic is just being comfortable with the real you. We should all be proud of who we are and what we’ve become. There’s no need to pretend. You are who you are and there’s no need to be anyone else.

Why would you want to be anyone else when you can be you?

Just be yourself

Just be yourself

You’ve all had experiences, moments and feelings which have all shaped who you’ve become. The you’ve travelled has had many twists and turns. Through it all you’ve learnt about the person you are and have become. You’ve liked, loved and laughed through the journey. There’s been tears and tantrums, dramas and disasters.

You are who you are because of where you’ve been.

That’s not something you can forget. That’s not something you should forget.

That’s something you can be proud of.

That is, the real you. That is, the authentic you.

So show your authenticity. It’s probably what makes you, the unique and special you!!

How do you show your authenticity? What experiences have really shaped you?

Jen xoxo

20 thoughts on “Authenticity

1. Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me

I totally agree – without all the shit I’ve had to deal with then I would NOT be who I am today! I would not have meet the man of my dreams, been able to cope with my lot right now! I wish everyone was who they said they were 🙂

1. Jen Post author

What….??? That’s crazy that they didn’t want you to disclose it was sponsored. Glad you kept your integrity and authenticity!! Thanks Janet.

2. Rhonda

I agree we need to educate others, especially those who want us to be something else. I’ve found that being yourself sometimes make others uncomfortable, and it’s very annoying when I’m around people who think I need to be like them and do things their way, and to follow their ‘old ways’, especially!

1. Jen Post author

It’s crazy how people get uncomfortable with the real you. Not sure if it’s because they aren’t comfortable enough to be themselves. Oh well…their loss not ours 🙂

3. Pinky Poinker

Great post Jen, and so true. I do think as you experience more in life the more accepting you become of others and yourself. The wisdom of age I guess. (Not including self here).

4. Samantha King

It’s true that we all have a story, and that story can keep us from being our true selves. But if we can slowly overcome the things that keep us from being our true selves, there can be great rewards. I’m a work in progress myself, but I’m already seeing some great rewards 😉

1. Jen Post author

I couldn’t agree more, Samantha. I think we are all work in progresses. We are all constantly trying to learn and better ourselves. We should never stop this. You Go Girl!!

5. Lisa Mallis

I agree! I often say, “if you can’t giggle at yourself, you are missing quite an opportunity for humor!” No one can bring the same skill set, values, experiences, and insight to the table as I can. Why would I want to be anyone else? Not to say I’m not always looking to become a “better version of me” . . . but never a “different version of me”.

1. Jen Post author

Yeah….couldnt’ agree more. You have to be able to laugh at yourself. So essential. Each day we learn something that helps us become a different version of ourselves.

6. Delia @ Blog Formatting

It’s really great to be you 🙂 I think we’ve been told a lot what to do, how to act, what to wear, and the list go on. To the point where it’s really hard to dig deep down and find who you really are.
    So here’s the challenge now, rediscovering ourselves, little by little. And I agree with a commenter before, it comes with age 😛 Thanks Jenny for these thought-provoking posts 🙂

1. Jen Post author

The older we get the more we are comfortable with ourselves and the more we realise we are continually evolving and that’s okay. Thanks for stopping by, Delia.