There was a Princess who made a BBQ Fork

I not sure I would say craft is my strong point. Although, I was very good at sewing and even made my year 10 formal dress. Actually, I topped year 10 sewing or as it was called, Textiles & Designs. I even sewed my bridesmaid dress for Nanna’s wedding. Yep, Nanna remarried at 64. But that’s a whole other story, although there is hope for me yet.

With all that said, there is one story to tell. As a fresh eyed high schooler one of the delights was getting to try all subjects in year 7. This was exciting. Much better than the boring Maths and English. I got to try home science (aka cooking), sewing, art, woodwork and metalwork. Now, I’m not a complete princess but getting my hands dirty is not my first preference in a list of things to do.

Princess Jen!

Princess Jen!

When it came time to try metalwork, I wasn’t sure what to expect. The classroom wasn’t as neat and organised as the others. It was very tradey and felt dirty with machines that I had already envisaged removing some of my fingers. I knew I didn’t belong. Nevertheless, I had to make a metal BBQ fork. I was slow to get going on this task and spent most of my time trying to get the boys to do it for me. Quite simply, that approach didn’t work. So, I was going to have to face these machines if I was going to pass this subject. I finally got the courage and started making my fork.

I even used the machines and still managed to keep all my fingers. In the end I had finished and was mighty proud of what my delicate princess hands had created. Then it came time to hand it in. You know how at school you all go up to hand something in to the teacher and you strategically wait until three quarters of the group has gone and then you slide in with the last quarter? I was in the last quarter.

It was just girls at the end and we were handing our BBQ fork in and then we could go. I handed mine over the desk and the instantly the teacher started laughing. I asked him what was so funny? He looked bemused and then politely told me the middle prong of a three prong BBQ fork was welded on the wrong way. What else could I do but laugh?

To this day, Dad still tells this story and gives a hearty laugh every time. It’s fair to say I was much better at sewing.

What creations have you made that haven’t quite turned out as planned? Do tell….it will make me feel better.

Jen xo

Linking up with Emily of Have a Laugh on Me for this week’s I Must Confess

photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathancohen/5396179251/”>JonathanCohen</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/”>cc</a>

16 thoughts on “There was a Princess who made a BBQ Fork

1. Emily @ Have a laugh on me

Jen I’m not sure I have even ONE success story – I’m just not crafty – I did sewing at high school and we had to make a sports bag, a very simple one and I forgot to leave a place for a zipper! I never need metal work, it wasn’t on offer, probably a good thing! I’m best to stick to the written or spoken word! Thanks so much for linking up Jen – it’s made my night!
    Have a happy week – Emily 🙂

2. Tegan

I could have written some of this post it is so similar to my highschool experience. Not the sewing part…the home ec teacher and I had a bit of a love/hate relationship, that is we loved to hate each other. The wood/metal work though is definitely me..although I was successful in getting the boys to do it for me. I had to fess up though when I had marked out a design wrong and my piece of wood was too short…

1. Jen Post author

I need to learn how you got the boys to do it. That’s a skill. I think we all have those teachers who we just don’t get on with. At least school days are behind us.

3. Bec | Mumma Tells

Oh, bugger. At least you gave it a whirl, I say. It’s all about the effort. There are too many things that I could list that haven’t turned out as planned – sewing projects in particular. But you see, my teacher is my Mum, who is more of a perfectionist than me…. so now she just takes over because “she’ll do it properly the first time!” So much for learning the craft. Sigh.

1. Jen Post author

Got to be proud I gave it a go. That’s tough having your mum as your teacher. My dad was the same with teaching me to drive. He was a teacher so was extra hard on me. Ended up going to driving school . It saved all the fights.

4. Kirsty MacKenzie (@obsessivecreate)

Good job for trying, I have had disasters but they magically turn into something else that it was “supposed ” to be hahahaha

5. Ness

I sewed my own finger during Textiles class or whatever they called it in pre-historic times. Hate sewing. Hate wood work and metal work even more. In your case, your talent for sewing is much better skill anyway. When would you need to weld anything? Sewing is much more useful.

6. Mystery Case

Well I needed help sewing a mini skirt together for a school project. Years later I attempted a double layer dress and after many tears and tantrums, my hubby basically said he would divorce me if I ever attempted sewing again. Clearly sewing is not one of my strong points.

1. Jen Post author

I’m sure you have many other strong points so I wouldn’t worry about sewing. I’m thinking your marriage is more important than sewing. 🙂

7. Rhonda - Silly Mummy

Oh yeah! I was sewing a dress belt. I was sewing the tube inside out but because I got all dreamy and autopilot, I had accidentally sewn it all the way and couldn’t turn the tube right side out! FAIL! Had to undo one end then redo, lol.

1. Jen Post author

That’s the worst when you get friendly with the unpicker. Sometimes you think you’re tracking well and then presto you’re behind. At least we’ve lived to tell the story.

8. Katrina

haha love it.

My mum bless her still has all our “creations” I must admit I thought I was going to be a pottery genius at one point. I wasn’t. lol